Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Vindicated

Years ago, probably around '83 or '84, I went to a sci-fi convention in San Diego, and they had a Star Trek panel that was taking audience questions.

I stood up and told them I'd caught a still in the ending credits that showed a pink-skinned bald alien and that I did not remember the character or that shot from any episode. I asked what that was about.

Not only did no one know what I was talking about, including no chiming in from an audience of hundreds of assorted fans, but my kid brother was mortified that making my delusion public embarrassed him by association. That response was understandable in no small part due to looks of disapproval from some nearby nerds whose IQs were probably at least half their body weight -- which if you think about it is impressive.

I got a call and then an apology text from my brother last night -- he was rewatching "The Immunity Syndrome" episode and saw the still for himself, and the memory came flooding back to him.

I wasn't crazy, at least not about that. So I'll ask again -- anybody know what this is about? Because what I was thinking at the time was "lost episode," or at least parts of one that never made it through production. If it could be reconstructed, it would have some $eriou$ value to a crowd that I personally witnessed bid a pair of Mr. Spock's foam rubber ear tips -- certified worn by Leonard Nimoy -- up over a thousand bucks.

Anybody know?


And as long as I'm talking money, The LA Times included a package of promotional microwave popcorn as an insert in its Sunday paper at the time Star Trek Voyager was premiering. Recalling the ear tips, I figured most people would eat theirs and put mine away:


Cellophane wrap aside, I'm sure it would be rancid. Regardless, I wonder how many are still around and what collectors would bid this up to.

UPDATE:

Ah look!

7 comments:

bondmen said...

So, you're not really crazy now per your brother? And you were able to put your hands on 22 year old Star Trek popcorn, now that is an accomplishment I could never match in my house. As to the bald headed alien I think I found his close relative here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSsXumQJtCs Yes Marshall Applewhite of the Heaven's Gate Cult, though he seems to have received a larger gene portion for ears.

Long Island Mike said...

Yes indeedy ! That was James Carville in his acting debut !

Steve said...

What a geek! :)

I vaguely remember Sargon and Return to Tomorrow. If I understand this right, the pic above is a test shot for a character that ultimately was not used in the episode? Then someone decided to pop it into the credits of another episode. I think I remember things like this where there were things in the credits that weren't in the episode.

Anonymous said...

Trekkies. :(

JohninMd.(Help!) said...

Other than the background being the original series sick bay, I got nuthin'....

Jeff said...

What kind of psychobabble is this Star Trek nonsense?

David Codrea said...

You want all your money back?