Monday, May 15, 2017

Less than Ideal Conceal?

Gun disguised as smartphone made by US based Ideal Conceal about to go on sale [More]
Note the criticism of the concept by the police trainer. You can learn more about his creds, and they are considerable, here.

Undoubtedly its deployment and capacity limitations make it less than ideal for all situations, but it would still be plenty better than nothing for many situations. Plus I just think it's kind of a neat idea, and obviously a labor of ingenuity and love. And there are a couple advantages I can think of:

There are many urban and commercial areas in "open carry" states, where bearing arms has not been normalized. And that's something to consider for gun owners who refuse to get a concealed carry "permit" out of principle (and are tired of putting themselves at "legal" risk by carrying anyway), and who wish to avoid the negative consequences of standing out in the crowd by wearing openly.

Plus, Chuck Schumer hates them.

2 comments:

Bear said...

Honestly, I have my doubts about this, which I have written much on at The Zelman Partisans. But it isn't the "cellphone" design that worries me. I wouldn't want one, but whatever anyone else wants is fine with me.

What does concern me is Kjellberg's business practices: taking orders (articles say he accepted payments on hundreds of pre-orders), his claim that he has thousands of non-paid pre-orders (from the emails I get, I think he's counting anyone who inquired about his project before he even had a physical nonworking mockup), taking orders/pre-orders before he had a Type 07 FFL or a deal with a licensed manufacturer, announcing a redesign every time he closed in on announced release dates, the fact that we haven't seen a working prototype for his latest design (for which he said has ordered parts for 10 guns; all we see is blurry video of printed pictures of parts), even the fact that the address listed for his manufacturer's FFL is an office building listed for sale on a commercial properties web site.

And yes, I have posed questions about some of these things to him, all the way back when the Ideal Conceal was only a bad photoshop of stock images.

Throw in the anti-RKBA posts he made before he decided to sell a disguised gun, and I'm dubious of his intent. The way he's selling shares in the company doesn't reassure me.

Getting Schumer's panties in a twist does count in his favor, though.

If my concerns prove unwarranted, I'll apologize.

Anonymous said...

I would not be inclined to get one, but hey! If Chuckles the Schmuck hates them that's good enough for me! ;-D