Monday, January 30, 2017

An Unvarnished Opinion

[More]
Well, naturally I wish he'd actually read the article, but aside from that, is he really that far off?  I guess I'm more than jaded by the number of readers who won't even lift a finger to share a link let alone kick in a few bucks for something righteous when I ask them nicely. I continue to wonder how many actually do anything besides post "Molon Labe!" comments, and what they'd do if real and prolonged risks and sacrifices were required. And yeah, how many of us are physical or skill equals, let alone training and equipment matches for warriors? And more than that, how many have the mindset and the will? That's not something most will know until they stare down the beast.

Them's fightin' words? There are hard truths we all need to face, even if telling them to us this way is rude and provocative, and riles us. I suspect it's partly meant to.

It will not be the fictional romantic adventure. And more than one of our stalwarts will find themselves making choices they would disparage as the acts of cowards from their present position of comfort and security.

That said, I have to believe I'm on the winning side.  When I no longer do is the day I hang this up.

5 comments:

Paul Bonneau said...

Like any historical revolution, there will be some people who deliver the goods when called on, and some who will turn tail and show a yellow streak, and you probably won't be able to tell which category any given individual belongs to until the shit hits the fan (unless you know him VERY well). Many people will surprise us, one way or the other. Just the nature of the beast. One thing that encourages me though, is that we are certainly more heavily armed going in, than almost any other historical example. That's got to lend some encouragement.

B said...

Ask how they did in Iraq and Afghanistan.

We have better toys, at least.

Ultimately, the police can only do their job when the populace lets them. Support is everything.

Ain't sayin' it will be easy, or clean, but still....

And we aren't arabs.

Anonymous said...

David, we can't get most gun owners to join the NRA. You, sir, are doing well by comparison. Thank you.

rexxhead said...

I'm realistic enough to know that at 73, overweight with arthritis and 4F-ish eyesight, my role in any upcoming conflict will be as a canary in a coalmine. Yes, I expect to be one of the early casualties, but they also serve who only act as speed bumps.

Bad Cyborg said...

Like rexxhead earlier, I too would likely be little more than a coalmine canary but before I went down I would do my best to eliminate as many leftist community leaders and TV talking heads (cheering the coup every last one of them) as I could.

The basic meaning is "over time everything turns to shit". Nothing in the physical universe lasts forever. Our republic will not no matter how we try. The best we can hope for is not to live to see it fall. But the republic falling is inevitable. As a High School Physics Teacher friend of mine (a decade gone to his reward) used to say "even protons decay".

I suspect that Mr Alexander might be more than a little surprised what the boys (and girls) at the bar at the VFW (and American Legion and other groups) would do if thinks got really "interesting". I've met some of the folks at the bar in the VFW post of which my Son is past commander. They just might do a thing . . . or two.